At Franciscan Primary School our Governors are central to the running of the school. They are volunteers who work closely alongside the Headteacher and the Senior Leadership Team, they advise on all matters relating to the running of the school. Currently our Governing Body consists of 12 Governors, 2 Associates and 2 Advisors.
Our Governors usually serve a term of 4 years and are an impartial, skilled body that serve the Wandsworth Local Authority. As such, they come from a mixture of financial, educational and other business professions.
Working in partnership with the Head and other staff, the Governors are involved in:
- setting the school's aims and policies;
- improving standards of teaching and achievement;
- setting the school's budget plan and monitoring expenditure;
- interviewing and appointing teachers and support staff;
- acting as a link between the local community and the school;
- dealing with complaints about the school;
Our Governing Body comprises of the Full Governing Body (FGB) who have the responsibility for appproving polices, reviewing progress, setting the strategic direction of the school and voting on significant decisions. There are also two sub-committees:
(1) Curriculum, SEND and Community,
which overseas all issues relating to the school curriculum, special educational needs, community integration and responsibility , as well as the duty to our families.
(2) The Finance and Personnel Committee, which are responsible for overseeing the finance, budgeting, premises and staffing provisions of the school.
Governors Code of Conduct
For further information on the Governors duties, please see link button below. The Code of Conduct is not a definitive statement of responsibilities but is concerned with the common understanding of broad principles by which the Governing Body and individual Governors will operate.
Guidelines from the 'The constitution of governing bodies of maintained schools', Department for Education, September 2016, states that;